Combine shopping with helping people in need? Pure. Genius. Here are five companies that have successfully combined the two in truly inspiring ways. All but one are based in the U.S. and they are doing so much good it’s crazy! Not only do they sell quality products, but for each one sold they donate another to a person in need—Buy One GIVE One. They are changing the way we shop, the way businesses are run and they are even changing the world (it’s true!). Check them out the next time you require some retail therapy.
- Baby Teresa, based in Australia and named after Mother Teresa, sells a line of gorgeous 100% organic cotton baby clothing and accessories. For each baby outfit they sell they also donate another to a child in need. So far they’ve made donations in over 20 countries from Peru to Egypt. I haven’t purchased anything from Baby Teresa yet, but I think their one piece suits (pictured above) would make a beautiful baby shower gift.
- Ever since I saw the Co-Founder and Co-CEO of Warby Parker, Dave Gilboa, speak a few years back at Chicago Ideas Week I’ve been slightly obsessed. NYC-based WP offers super stylish optical and sunglasses at pretty reasonable prices. They have a handful of retail stores throughout the U.S., but if one isn’t in your neighborhood then virtual try-on or home try-on are your best bets. Warby Parker follows the get one, give one business model and has distributed over 1M pairs of glasses to people in need. That’s a lot of glasses people! I’m pleased to report that I’m indulging my obsession and hope to receive my 5 home try-on pairs of specs soon. And I may need help deciding, so keep an “eye” out for a future WP post.
- Founded in 2011, Roma Boots is relatively new to the scene and offers super cute children and adult rain boots. For every pair of Roma Boots sold, a brand new pair stuffed with educational supplies is donated to a child in need. They’ve done boot drops in Colombia, Guatemala, Romania, Moldova and Transylvania.
- I’ve been a long-time customer of The Company Store, indulging in their delicious down comforters and bedding essentials ever since I learned about duvets, oh, about 15 years ago. Manufactured in LaCrosse, WI, for every comforter purchased The Company Store donates one to a homeless child in need. Since 2011, they have donated thousands of comforters to children across the country. Just one more reason I love The Company Store!
- I’m sure you’ve all heard of TOMS. They’re a pioneer in the BOGO business model and coined the phrase “One for One.” For every product purchased, TOMS helps a person in need by supplying shoes, glasses and even water. TOMS has donated over 10M shoes in 60 countries while TOMS Eyewear has restored sight to over 200,000 people. In 2014 alone, they’ve already helped to provide clean water in 5 countries. AND if that’s not enough, they recently launched TOMS Marketplace, which aggregates products from across the web and world that help people in need. These guys are on fire! I love TOMS shoes for Ash and am pretty sure the Desert Wedges will find their way into my closet for fall!
What are your favorite BOGO shops?